Skip to main content

More progress on my task & getting close to the finish line

Hello! I was not as close to finish as I had estimated before. However, I have some more good progress on my task!

Right after my blog the previous week, I found the problem which was making me very concerned about my code. Whenever I ran ScummVM, it took about 20-30 seconds to start. I was worried that some of my code could be troublesome, but then I found out my configuration file was a little too big.

The configuration file (scummvm.ini) stores some useful information and is often low in size (~10KB) or so. In code, we interact with this file using "ConfMan". For my previous task, I configured this to get a boolean from the .ini file to force the RTL-based GUI.

I think some of my temporary code would have caused this issue. The ini file was around 150MB big!


I was curious to see what it contained, so I opened it in sublime. It took ~15 minutes to open and it had this:


15 minutes! For my own amusement, I have saved this file in another location. I simply deleted the file and relaunched scummvm, and I was so happy when it was running smoothly! I was genuinely thinking I made a big mistake somewhere or my code is very poor. Phew!

Apart from this little incident, this week I also enabled all engines in my project. Previously I had only enabled one to speed up compile times on my potato pc.

The compilation times really took a lot. A lot of time. There were ~350 errors after the first time I enabled all (stable) engines. I solved all of them, and the project was now fully compilable!

I also had to add in support for my own version of printf, which took in U32Strings. To be honest, the existing code was really confusing to me, because I hadn't really dealt with language-feature level code before. My mentor pointed out a good StackOverflow answer, which helped a bit to understand but I was still confused.

After getting nowhere on it for an hour or so, I thought I would just write a temporary code to get started. I passed in the code as U32String and used iterators to loop through and check for "%", then switch according to characters. I did this only for 1 argument because I wasn't really sure how to do it for a variable number of arguments.

Following along slowly side-by-side with the answer from StackOverflow and the existing code of ScummVM, I was able to do it!

So, what's next? To adapt my code across the project, I am now nearly modifying ~210 files when compared to the master. This means that I have to be more careful of my code effects, and more testing. Even though I plan to open the PR soon, I am thinking it will be a few more days to test out everything and make sure there is no funny business (like the 150MB ini file!)

That's it for this week's progress! I have one more thing to say, though. My previous task - "RTL GUI" is near merge now. My mentors have told me that now is a good time to look back and reflect on my task because I have achieved the first milestone. It's a great idea, and I will be writing a new post regarding this, and it will be going up shortly after this post!


Thanks for reading!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The (official) end of an amazing journey!

 Hello! GSoC has officially ended, and I'm in the final stage - submitting my work for the entire summer to Google! When I first received the acceptance letter in May, I was very much baffled. It was exciting and a bit scary at the same time, because I have never ever worked on a project of this scale. Well, first time for everything I guess :) So, what have I been doing this past week? Last week I left off saying my U32 PR was showing some activity, and this week, @criezy helped out a lot by reviewing my U32 PR, and providing much feedback. He also helped out pretty much entirely towards the MacOS/iOS platforms, because it was quite not an area (Objective-C) I was comfortable in. It was really a huge help. Apart from that, I mostly spent the entire week looking at the PR to see what could be changed, fixing my mistakes, and making the PR ready for merge. It has improved quite a lot!  Criezy pushed an update for iOS, which led me to believe that there might be many more missing are

My first week experience and my first task!

Hello, it's nice to talk to you again!   This is my first week after being accepted into ScummVM and I have a lot to talk about, so let's get started. A little sidenote - Originally, I thought to update my blog once every two weeks and that it would be a good idea, but I just really wanted to update you guys with my exciting first week!  I was reading my fellow GSoC student's introductory blog post when I realized that the introductory blog post is also meant to introduce a person, something I completely forgot in my first post. Yes, that's right, I forgot to introduce myself - in my introductory blog post. You read that right - but I hope that you didn't find it rude, I was just really excited to be a part of ScummVM for this summer, and somehow forgot what I was supposed to write! Let's do it right this time before we move on to my first week's experience! Introduction Hiya! I am Aryan Rawlani, a Computer Science student in Ahmedabad, India

ScummVM plugins - The new task

Hello! This week, I got started with my new task - "Moving detection features to the executable". What is the task? ScummVM has over 50 engines that support many - many games. Currently, when compiled - these engines can either be compiled directly inside the scummvm executable (statically linked) or packed inside small packages of external libraries that can be loaded on demand (dynamic linking) So, why would we even opt for external libraries? Wouldn't packing everything into the executable give the best performance? Well, yes. But the thing is, ScummVM has a lot of platforms it supports ( ScummVM Platforms ) over 30! It's very portable, which is one of the really amazing features of ScummVM. With dynamic plugins, the executable sizes are lowered. Because of this, when we need to detect games - each engine is loaded by one and the relevant detection happens. This is slow. The main purpose of this task is to move the detection related features to the executa