Skip to main content

Overview and final looks at RTL GUI

This past week, I spent the majority of my time polishing the GUI, adjusting spacing and padding so that it matches the original (LTR) GUI well, solved my PR review issues, cleaning up my history.

I have to say, I did not know before how important and time-consuming polishing things take in the context of GUI. I solve one thing, there's a new thing discovered and needed to solve, a new bug discovered and so on.

One example, a bug, for which I was a little confused:
I implemented a way to fetch an "RTL" boolean flag from the theme. If this is true and GUI is also using RTL, the widget will be flipped.
One of my mentors has a Mac, and I was surprised to see my implementation did not work on their system. I didn't know what was causing the issue, but my mentor found the root of it. It was because the RTL flag of the object was uninitialized, which caused the issue. I use windows and MSVC - and my environment didn't have a problem with it.

The problem quickly went away when I initialized the flag in the constructor(s).

Below are a bunch of Hebrew (Hebrew is an RTL language) specific screenshots, so you can have a look at how an RTL GUI would look in the final merged build. (Also how well it complements the language!)



Above - MIDI Tab (Hebrew, RTL GUI)

Above - MIDI Tab (English, LTR GUI)



Did you notice how the Hebrew language in GUI also has some English mixed in it? Before I started my work in May, a few people in the community had begun in implementing FriBiDi ("GNU FriBidi is an implementation of the Unicode Bidirectional Algorithm (bidi)"), which basically adjusts the text to be a combination of LTR+RTL languages. I don't know much about other languages, but I'm guessing that certain words lose meaning (and maybe context?) when translated. So, certain words, are kept as-is (in English) when they're translated to other languages. (I might be wrong about this)

For example,
LTR -> "GUI language:" [Image on right]
RTL -> ":GUI שפה"         [Image on left]


The box highlighted in blue is the ones I've written in the example above. It is just one example, but you can see a good example of how it looks. This, combined with RTL GUI should give native RTL users a very homely feeling!

I feel happy, that the current version of the RTL based GUI looks very neat and clean. I cannot wait for the native RTL users to try out this RTL based GUI, and get feedback!

Lastly, I will start my work on "Moving GUI to U32 String" from today. More about this next week, when I get my hands on and try to figure out a way to get started with this task!



Thanks for reading!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The (official) end of an amazing journey!

 Hello! GSoC has officially ended, and I'm in the final stage - submitting my work for the entire summer to Google! When I first received the acceptance letter in May, I was very much baffled. It was exciting and a bit scary at the same time, because I have never ever worked on a project of this scale. Well, first time for everything I guess :) So, what have I been doing this past week? Last week I left off saying my U32 PR was showing some activity, and this week, @criezy helped out a lot by reviewing my U32 PR, and providing much feedback. He also helped out pretty much entirely towards the MacOS/iOS platforms, because it was quite not an area (Objective-C) I was comfortable in. It was really a huge help. Apart from that, I mostly spent the entire week looking at the PR to see what could be changed, fixing my mistakes, and making the PR ready for merge. It has improved quite a lot!  Criezy pushed an update for iOS, which led me to believe that there might be many more missing are

My first week experience and my first task!

Hello, it's nice to talk to you again!   This is my first week after being accepted into ScummVM and I have a lot to talk about, so let's get started. A little sidenote - Originally, I thought to update my blog once every two weeks and that it would be a good idea, but I just really wanted to update you guys with my exciting first week!  I was reading my fellow GSoC student's introductory blog post when I realized that the introductory blog post is also meant to introduce a person, something I completely forgot in my first post. Yes, that's right, I forgot to introduce myself - in my introductory blog post. You read that right - but I hope that you didn't find it rude, I was just really excited to be a part of ScummVM for this summer, and somehow forgot what I was supposed to write! Let's do it right this time before we move on to my first week's experience! Introduction Hiya! I am Aryan Rawlani, a Computer Science student in Ahmedabad, India

Touching upon all 3 tasks

Hello! So, this week I have done things that ranged across all my tasks. Recently I checked out our sister project, ResidualVM. ResidualVM's codebase is largely similar to ScummVM, but the main difference is the addition of capabilities to run 3D games. They also take regular snapshots from ScummVM to keep up-to-date. So, the work of RTL GUI which was merged in ScummVM was also present there. When I was running the application with the Hebrew language, some popups and drop-down buttons looked quite different from the normal GUI. Upon a little investigation, it looked like paddings were being set wrong for the RTL-widgets set in the theme. This was because back when I was on my RTL task, I temporarily set a padding of "2" as a placeholder to check, and then completely forgot about it as the difference was ever so subtle. I'm glad though, that I found this, and opened a PR to fix it. English, proper paddings Hebrew - Improper paddings Hebrew, mirrored and matching paddi