Skip to main content

A small update

Hello! This week, I don't have a lot of updates. A while after I created my last post the previous week, I cleaned up the history a little and opened a PR.

Then, the week was mostly spent on cleaning up more code and trying to keep the changes to a minimum basis - because I was modifying a large number of files (~280).

Right now, I am trying to combine String and U32String into a template, because they have a lot of similar functionalities. Reviews for the PR should be soon, so I will mostly be addressing those and working on the templated classes.

This week has been rather busy though because my final project from college had some documentation work pending and I self-reviewed my PR many times. It is exhausting to review so many files! I picked up many mistakes though as I reviewed them again and again, and the fixes were pretty simple.

That's it from me for now. I hope to wrap my work this week and get a little more understanding of my next task, which is moving detection features to the executable. More about this soon!


Thanks for reading!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The (official) end of an amazing journey!

 Hello! GSoC has officially ended, and I'm in the final stage - submitting my work for the entire summer to Google! When I first received the acceptance letter in May, I was very much baffled. It was exciting and a bit scary at the same time, because I have never ever worked on a project of this scale. Well, first time for everything I guess :) So, what have I been doing this past week? Last week I left off saying my U32 PR was showing some activity, and this week, @criezy helped out a lot by reviewing my U32 PR, and providing much feedback. He also helped out pretty much entirely towards the MacOS/iOS platforms, because it was quite not an area (Objective-C) I was comfortable in. It was really a huge help. Apart from that, I mostly spent the entire week looking at the PR to see what could be changed, fixing my mistakes, and making the PR ready for merge. It has improved quite a lot!  Criezy pushed an update for iOS, which led me to believe that there might be many more missing are

My first week experience and my first task!

Hello, it's nice to talk to you again!   This is my first week after being accepted into ScummVM and I have a lot to talk about, so let's get started. A little sidenote - Originally, I thought to update my blog once every two weeks and that it would be a good idea, but I just really wanted to update you guys with my exciting first week!  I was reading my fellow GSoC student's introductory blog post when I realized that the introductory blog post is also meant to introduce a person, something I completely forgot in my first post. Yes, that's right, I forgot to introduce myself - in my introductory blog post. You read that right - but I hope that you didn't find it rude, I was just really excited to be a part of ScummVM for this summer, and somehow forgot what I was supposed to write! Let's do it right this time before we move on to my first week's experience! Introduction Hiya! I am Aryan Rawlani, a Computer Science student in Ahmedabad, India

Touching upon all 3 tasks

Hello! So, this week I have done things that ranged across all my tasks. Recently I checked out our sister project, ResidualVM. ResidualVM's codebase is largely similar to ScummVM, but the main difference is the addition of capabilities to run 3D games. They also take regular snapshots from ScummVM to keep up-to-date. So, the work of RTL GUI which was merged in ScummVM was also present there. When I was running the application with the Hebrew language, some popups and drop-down buttons looked quite different from the normal GUI. Upon a little investigation, it looked like paddings were being set wrong for the RTL-widgets set in the theme. This was because back when I was on my RTL task, I temporarily set a padding of "2" as a placeholder to check, and then completely forgot about it as the difference was ever so subtle. I'm glad though, that I found this, and opened a PR to fix it. English, proper paddings Hebrew - Improper paddings Hebrew, mirrored and matching paddi