Skip to main content

A small update

Hello! This week, I don't have a lot of updates. A while after I created my last post the previous week, I cleaned up the history a little and opened a PR.

Then, the week was mostly spent on cleaning up more code and trying to keep the changes to a minimum basis - because I was modifying a large number of files (~280).

Right now, I am trying to combine String and U32String into a template, because they have a lot of similar functionalities. Reviews for the PR should be soon, so I will mostly be addressing those and working on the templated classes.

This week has been rather busy though because my final project from college had some documentation work pending and I self-reviewed my PR many times. It is exhausting to review so many files! I picked up many mistakes though as I reviewed them again and again, and the fixes were pretty simple.

That's it from me for now. I hope to wrap my work this week and get a little more understanding of my next task, which is moving detection features to the executable. More about this soon!


Thanks for reading!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The (official) end of an amazing journey!

 Hello! GSoC has officially ended, and I'm in the final stage - submitting my work for the entire summer to Google! When I first received the acceptance letter in May, I was very much baffled. It was exciting and a bit scary at the same time, because I have never ever worked on a project of this scale. Well, first time for everything I guess :) So, what have I been doing this past week? Last week I left off saying my U32 PR was showing some activity, and this week, @criezy helped out a lot by reviewing my U32 PR, and providing much feedback. He also helped out pretty much entirely towards the MacOS/iOS platforms, because it was quite not an area (Objective-C) I was comfortable in. It was really a huge help. Apart from that, I mostly spent the entire week looking at the PR to see what could be changed, fixing my mistakes, and making the PR ready for merge. It has improved quite a lot!  Criezy pushed an update for iOS, which led me to believe that there might be many more missin...

ScummVM translation files

This week there was slow progress on my task. I was also doing some miscellaneous things that related to my task. The very first thing I want to say:  My RTL-GUI PR has been merged into the master branch of ScummVM! Hooray! Since the previous work was also related to GUI, I had to rebase my branch to even out with master and merge the RTL-GUI work into my own. There were many merge conflicts, but I was able to solve them all! Now that I think about it, merge conflicts are not as scary as I thought they were before. They are pretty simple! I've set up Travis-CI to build my branch. I did this because continuous building on my machine was very slow, and with Travis, it is very easy to catch up on errors, correct them, and so on. After rewriting history several times, I was able to solve all errors (~50) that didn't appear on my local machine. I use MSVC, so many instances of errors don't appear on my machine - even though it builds and runs completely fine. This week,...

Reviewing & Polishing

 Hello! Because I think I am mostly done with the new feature implementation, this week was mostly cleaning up the tree, and getting it ready for a PR! Last week, I mentioned some special engines which were ported a little differently, so let's start with those. The MetaEngines in ScummVM uses game detection to detect these games and then uses MetaEngineConnect to instantiate an engine and run it. However, if we fail at the very first step, i.e detecting a game - what happens then? For this, ScummVM uses "fallbackDetection" to approximately find the closest match to the game engine that could be used. The AGI engine was one of my first test engines because it had an additional dependency on fallback detection, which I wanted to test from the get-go. Turns out that the resources for fallbackDetection were only used by the detection features in this case, so the object file was shifted to the DETECT_OBJS variable which would eventually be linked with the executable. However...